As you have learned throughout the semester in the course readings and modules, the criminal justice system has three interrelated components: the law enforcement community, the courts, and the corrections community. Each component is vital to the criminal justice system as a whole and there are many careers within each field. For this forum, you will explore various careers in criminal justice. Through this exploration, you will demonstrate the ability to local and discuss information, requirements, and job opportunities related to careers in criminal justice.
View and review the various career spotlights throughout your textbook, as well as the videos and other course resources highlighting various criminal justice/public safety/security careers.
Conduct an Internet search using your preferred web browser to seek any additional information you would like on a career in the criminal justice system. A really helpful resource for job seekers is the Occupational Outlook Handbook, a yearly publication from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that provides information such as requirements, job outlooks, median salary, and so on for many different types of jobs in the U.S.
Once you have researched a career you are interested in on the internet and located information on this career using the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) link provided above, craft an initial post of at least 200 words addressing the following elements:
1. Introduce your classmates to the criminal justice/public safety/security position/career that you find most interesting. Provide a brief description of the position/career.
2. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, what is the average salary and job outlook for that position (or for a similar position if they don’t list your exact career)? You MUST provide this information to receive credit for this discussion.
1. Locate a CURRENT, OPEN job posting for your selected career/position. According to the job posting, what tasks would you be responsible for completing on a daily basis? (Be sure to include the link to this posting, and other citation information, in your initial post to receive full credit).
2. What are the key requirements (physical, education, experience, geographic (i.e., relocation and travel), etc.) for the position you located?
3. If you were to apply for this position, what would the process look like? (i.e., application, interview(s), background checks, polygraphs, physical agility tests, mental tests, etc.) NOTE: You may need to research this a bit.
4. Think about the things you value most in life, such as family, adventure, justice, etc. How might these values influence the type of career you choose in criminal justice? Are you still interested in this career after completing this discussion? Why or why not?
5. You MUST use both the OOH and a current job posting in this assignment. If you do not use and provide links for both of these sources, you will receive a zero for this discussion.
Be thorough in your response to ensure you fully address the questions and meet the requirements on content and length. You should demonstrate a solid grasp of the readings and concepts mentioned above.
Log in link for course book and reading materials for assignment