Discuss two (2) differences between the Republican and Democratic parties that may have an ethical impact (positively or negatively) on the American people.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper that answers the following three (3) items using headers to separate each item:
- Discuss either two (2) civil liberties or two (2) civil rights events. One event must be from within the last two years, and the other may be from the past. Select events that have influenced a sense of social responsibility in the American government today. Provide examples to support your answer. In your response, consider how the events influenced the way state, local, or national political leaders or agencies responded in a socially responsible or ethical manner toward the community. Please cite your sources using Strayer Writing Standards. See below for details.
- Discuss two (2) media events (past or present) that have positively and/or negatively influenced the public’s opinion of a government agency. One event must be within the last two years, and the other may be from the past. Provide examples to support your answer. Consider how a news story or media coverage of an event positively or negatively changed the public’s opinion (or perception) regarding how responsible a government agency should be towards meeting the needs of its customers (i.e., the American people). Please cite your sources using Strayer Writing Standards. See below for details.
- Discuss two (2) differences between the Republican and Democratic parties that may have an ethical impact (positively or negatively) on the American people. Provide examples from the past 2 years to support your answer. Consider the different ideologies, values, morals, and/or goals held by the Republican and Democratic parties, and their different views on the ethically or morally right way to govern and make the best policies for the people they serve. Determine if your example presents any type of ethical concerns for or against the public best interest of the American people. Please cite your sources using Strayer Writing Standards. See below for details.
In your research, you cannot use Wikipedia, online dictionaries, Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other website that does not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
- Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the U.S. government, national political processes, policy making, and the notion of democracy.
- Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
- Distinguish between civil rights and civil liberties in the context of Supreme Court protection of freedom of expression.
- Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and questions involving the U.S. government and national political processes using information in the course.
- Explain how the federal system of government works.
- Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national political processes.
- Describe the importance of an informed, proactive citizenship for the effective operation of the national government and political processes.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government and politics.
- Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing mechanics.