periodical articleJanuary 24, 2019
Career Paths of a Hospitality Management StudentJanuary 24, 2019
This assignment facilitates comprehensive knowledge transfer in
regard to the components, infrastructure, and functionality of the
regional health information organization (RHIO).
You have been hired as the director of public health informatics for
the Centervale County Department of Public Health because you have
valuable knowledge about the functionality and functioning of RHIOs.
This is what you have learned about Centervale’s plans:
- The Centervale County department of public health plans to deploy a county-wide RHIO.
- The department requires healthcare establishments and
practitioners in the county to migrate from a paper-based health
records system to an electronic medical records (EMR) system within the
next five years.
- The department also requires all practitioners to connect to the
county Health Information Exchange set up by the RHIO within the next
Your primary responsibility is to propose policies and mandates that
ensure maintenance of confidentiality and privacy of protected health
information. Keeping that in mind, prepare a 10–12-slide PowerPoint
presentation for the Centervale County Department of Public Health
officials that includes the following:
- Discuss the challenges of privacy and confidentiality within the history and evolution of public health informatics.
- What opportunities will the migration to an EHR and the implementation of a RHIO provide to address these challenges?
- Address the following issues with establishing a county-wide RHIO:
- Identify and discuss the privacy concerns about the collection and distribution of health information across the RHIO.
- Describe the access rights of individuals and any groups to the data collected and stored by the RHIO.
- Identify and explain interoperability standards deployed by the RHIO.
- Propose a list of policies and mandates that would ensure
maintenance of confidentiality and privacy of protected health
information as mentioned in the above issues.
- Evaluate and identify the best tools or system of public health
informatics to manage the county’s public health information and
explain how that tool or system will uphold privacy.
- Give examples of how key public health information systems in
the United States use these policies and mandates to guarantee the
security, confidentiality, and accessibility of the data they contain.
- Describe some of the search tools available to locate and analyze public health data.
- Examine how the policies, mandates, tools, and standards that have
evolved in the development of RHIOs might contribute to a global
strategy for use of information technology (IT) in healthcare to reduce
Use the PowerPoint Notes pane on each slide to explain your
discussion points as if you were actually presenting this information
to a group.
Include citations of appropriate laws and regulations to justify your positions.
Include a reference slide in APA style.